Monday, February 16, 2009

Agency and the absence of it

Just a thought..after reading the ahearn article, I really am questioning if there
is such a thing as agency ..I think some very important points were made about how agency is
situated and inextrivable from history, power relations, language and so on. I think of revolutionary figures in history and, to me, it makes more sense (concerning their agency) in that they went agianst frameworks of meaning (understanding agency in a different way) in that they realized adversity but that it was an opportunity to overcome ideologies/situations etc. that were socially constructed realities for certain people.
The "autonomous model" of literacy practices was pretty nuts...I guess when you want to rationalize things you find a way..

No comments: